• Inspection FAQ's
  • Inspection FAQ's

Why do I need an inspection?

Under the Health and Safety at Work Act (1974) and PUWER guidelines it is stated that:

'All storage equipment falls under the category of work equipment, which must be maintained and inspected on a regular basis' 

'Every employer shall ensure that work equipment is maintained in an efficient state, in efficient working order and good repair'

What type of work equipment needs inspecting?

Teepee can inspect all types of pallet racking, shelving, cantilever racking and mezzanine flooring.

What are the benefits of equipment inspections?

By having regular racking and equipment inspections, not only will you be complying with HSE legislation, you could also see a reduction in your insurance premiums, as this is a requirement from some insuring bodies.  Regular inspections also reduce the chances of any racking collapses.  Finally, regular inspections promote safe working within the workplace.

What is SEMA?

SEMA is the British Trade Association of the Storage Equipment Industry. An organisation committed to promoting and extending the safe design, installation and use of storage equipment manufactured and supplied by its members.

What is a SARI?

The SEMA Approved Inspector Qualification is aimed at individuals who carry out the inspection of storage equipment as a significant part of their duties. To achieve the required standard they must successfully complete a specially designed intensive course, written examination and practical assessment. There is also an on-going commitment to CPD for which inspectors are required to attain a prescribed number of points on an annual basis.

What is a PRRS?

To comply with HSE ‘Warehouse and Storage Guidelines’ a weekly or monthly “in-house” inspection must be conducted by the Person Responsible for Racking Safety (PRRS).  This individual must have completed a SEMA rack awareness course to successfully carry out regular ground level inspections.

The PRRS may be an operations manager, health and safety manager, warehouse manager or an individually trained employee.

What Is the difference between a PRRS and a ‘Technically competent person’?

To comply with the above guidelines, the HSE require regular in-house inspections to be carried out by the employer and an annual expert inspection by a "Technically Competent" person.  The responsibilities for each inspection are as follows:

End user Inspection- Is a weekly or monthly observation by an 'in-house' Person Responsible for Racking Safety (PRRS) this person should have completed a SEMA rack awareness course.

Expert Inspection- To be carried out by a qualified SEMA Approved Racking Inspector (SARI), recognised as'Technically Competent' by the HSE,at intervals of no more than 12 months.

Why can’t my own staff inspect the racking?

In order for your company to comply with legislation, you will need to nominate a person to attend a SEMA rack awareness course.

What is classed as damage?

Under SEMA guidelines damage is categorised into three sections, red, amber and green risk.


Upright bent into the rack

Upright bent parallel to the beam

Frame Bracing


Up to 3 mm

Up to 5 mm

Up to 10 mm


Between 3 and 6 mm

Between 5mm and 10 mm

Between 10 and 20 mm


Over 6 mm

Over 10 mm

Over 20 mm


What is included in my SEMA racking inspection?

Our inspectors will visit your site at your earliest convenience.

Once on- site, our inspector will liaise with your PRRS and go through any immediate issues.

A thorough inspection will be carried out, and once again our inspector will go through any issues with your PRRS.

Once offsite, our inspector then will compile a detailed report including photographic evidence which can then be either sent to you in hard copy format or PDF.

A completion certificate

SEMA Inspection certificate – valid for 1 year

Teepee offer an aftercare service, which is a  follow up service where our Inspector will call your representative to discuss any report findings and discuss any further queries.

Annual reminder for the next inspection

Provide your PRRS with inspection support for the following year

What do we do if we damage racking?

If you feel that you have compromised the integrity of your racking, you should seal off the area immediately and contact our inspectors who will arrange to visit and advise on the quickest way to make safe the area.

Do you repair racking?

Yes, here at Teepee we can advise  you of all repairs needed.  We will only replace racking with the original manufacturers equipment, ensuring that all of your warranties remain in place.

How often do I need an inspection?

It is recommended by SEMA that an annual or bi-annual inspection is carried out by a ‘technically competent person’.  The frequency of the third party inspection is dependent of the type of operation that is run,

SEMA recommends an annual or bi–annual inspection by a technically competent person. The frequency of this third party inspection will depend upon a number of factors including the type of operation and storage equipment used.

However, it is recommended that the user operate daily or weekly surveys, instigating a reporting system to monitor accidents and damage. This also identifies minor repairs that can be carried out by you, i.e. tightening of floor fixings which, over time, may become loose.

What should I look for in a racking inspection supplier?

When considering your racking inspection you should always ensure that you have a qualified SEMA approved registered Inspector.  (SARI)

The inspector should also have extensive experience in different types of racking..     

Do you carry out racking inspection courses?

Teepee do not carry out racking inspection courses.   All courses are carried out by SEMA.  Details are on their website.   www.sema.org.uk


Teepee Inspect - Pallet Racking Inspection Video Teepee Inspect - Pallet Racking Inspection Video Download our brochure

Pallet racking safety inspections quotation request form

Latest News

Feed not found.
More News > >

Pallet racking safety inspections quotation request form